Thursday, September 9, 2010

2nd Place in the Fairfield SWCD Photo Contest

Hi readers,

I have good news - I won 2nd place in the Fairfield SWCD (Soil & Water Conservation District) photo contest!  This evening, I was invited to attend their annual meeting, where they had all 22 entries on display.  Here's my pic among some of the other entries:



Sorry about all the glare - it was hard to get a good shot of all the photos, as they were set up right by the windows.  Anyway, the theme of the contest was wind or water energy.  As I was thinking about ideas for the shoot, I thought it would be fun to capture the girls with their hair blowing in the wind.  Little Guy was supposed to be included, but he decided that he didn't want to be part of it, so his job was just to stay out of the way of the lens!  The girls, however, were very good sports and the evening we did the photoshoot they were both so happy & giddy.....and that really came across in the photos.  I think if you can capture an emotion, you've got a good shot.  The final shot was very close to what I had originally envisioned.  Here's the picture:


I actually had to photoshop out one of our fans - you could just see it between their arms.  I was pleased with how that technical piece came out.  I think I had 2 or 3 fans set up - of course, it wasn't windy that evening at all - no wind when you really need it!

At the meeting tonight, I sat at the same table as the 1st place winner, who was a very delightful person.  Hers is the photo with the red mat (sorry again for that glare) & the subject was clothes hanging out to dry.  The photo had really nice colors & her choice of framing & the mat served the photo well.

I just had to share my good news with you!  I'm very inspired by photography contests, for some reason.  They just get the creative part of my brain thinking.  And it's nice to be recognized for something I love to do.  Hopefully, I'll have more good news to share about contests in the coming months, as there are a couple more that I'm planning to enter this year.  Wish me luck!

(By the way, all the photos from the contest will be on display at the Fairfield (Ohio) County Fair in October.  So, if you happen to go, head over to the SWCD booth and check them out.)

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment