Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {brown butter}

I have long been wanting to make brown butter ice cream from The Craft of Baking by Karen DeMasco.  Her ice cream recipes are outstanding, and this one sounded particularly intriguing.

The first thing you should know: cook your butter carefully!  I burned 2 sticks of butter on my first attempt.  On my second attempt I turned the heat down to medium and that worked great, so lower heat and keeping a close eye on it is the best way to go.  This recipe has a few steps, so you really need to start a day or so before you want to serve it.  The first step is mixing the brown butter with milk and cream, and letting it infuse for 8 hours.  Then, you make the ice cream mixture, and let it sit for 8 hours.  Then you churn the ice cream, and let it sit (I always give it at least a day).  So you can see, you'll have to time your brown butter ice cream cravings accordingly.

But once you've had this ice cream, the cravings won't ever let up.  It is sooo good.  It's a very sweet ice cream (not a problem at all for the Bachs).  The wonderful flavor of the brown butter makes this a unique ice cream, and we just gobbled it up (I foresee some requests for this one on birthdays and other special occasions).  DH and I seemed to like it a bit more than the Bachsters, and the two of us could not stay out of it.  I begged DH to save me just a little bit, enough for a decent shot.  Thankfully, I managed to get this tiny scoop before we polished it off:


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment