Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {chocolate-peanut butter}

The recipe for chocolate-peanut butter ice cream (from David Lebovitz's excellent book, The Perfect Scoop) appealed to me because of its simplicity: warm up some cocoa, sugar, half and half and a pinch of salt, then mix in some peanut butter.  Easy peasy, and my 5 year old actually did most of the work!

However, I have learned over the past year of making countless ice cream recipes one very important thing: I prefer custard style ice cream.  There's nothing wrong with Philly style (meaning, no egg yolks) and I've tried some really tasty kinds.  But, I really do like the traditional, custard style ice creams best, and this one is no exception.  I thought this was a good ice cream, but not super-sweet (for some, that might be a big plus).  I actually whipped up some hot fudge to try to amp up the sweetness, but it just didn't pair up well with this ice cream.  Now, I'm stuck with a bunch of extra hot fudge - what to do, what to do..............

 
-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment