Monday, November 8, 2010

Book Nook - More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts

I apologize for not posting since my last Book Nook - that means it's been a whole week!  Our computer has been down, but luckily, will be back home in a few days, all patched up.  Even more fortunate is the fact that I won't lose any of my pictures - I was sweating it there!  Most of them are backed up, but not all.  Backing pics up is now on the top of my to-do list!

Speaking of to-do lists, if yours consists of knitting some goodies for the holidays, I would suggest you check out this week's Book Nook selection: More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson.  This is a beautiful book with lots of great ideas for knitted projects.  They are categorized by how much time they should take you to complete, which is very thoughtful especially if the reader is looking through this at the 11th hour, as is usually the case with me!

Since my pc is down, I can only provide this link to amazon.com instead of my usual nifty link + picture.  There are several projects which I have post-it-noted that I'd love to make: kelly's mittens & the big lace scarf (for myself, ahem), and the kid's vest.  I also love the fingerless gloves, and usually I don't like fingerless gloves at all.  She has me interested in making a pair (again, for myself.....blush).  I've never actually knit anything for myself before, but I think I need to get started!

Other patterns that I really like, but probably won't be making in the foreseeable future are the bookmarks, pointy elf hat, coasters, house (this is a cute knitted toy idea), toe-up socks and all the baby-related projects in the book.

The photography is gorgeous & spot-on.  I love that many of the projects are photographed in a beautiful outdoor setting or with rustic wood as the backdrop.  I was intrigued when I read through the list of model names that the photographer is actually one of the models.  I've been trying to guess which one since!  I also really loved the last section, with some neat ideas on how to wrap up your handmade gift to make it extra special.  The cards with the extra yarn & buttons is a great idea that I'll definitely be using in the future!

I should mention that this is the 2nd book the author has done on knitted gifts (you probably figured that out by the title).  I'd like to check out the first one, as I have not done so yet.  I'm sure it's packed with great little knitting projects just like this one.

Enjoy!
Cheryl 

No comments:

Post a Comment