Monday, April 18, 2011

Book Nook - 1001 Children's Books

A book about books....love it!

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up, edited by Julia Eccleshare is a real exercise in post-it-note allocation.  I would challenge anyone reading through this behemoth of a book to not be tempted to post-it-note, earmark, bookmark or jot down a list of great books you'd love to read (for yourself or to your kids). 

The book is organized by age group: 0-3 years old, 3+, 5+, 8+ and 12+.  Each age group contains a list of books, starting with oldest to most recent (2008).  Some are classics, some are foreign titles, some are not as well known as others - but each suggested book features a nice description.  The cover art of many of the books is also pictured.  The many contributors/reviewers range from authors and illustrators to professors to librarians.

I have really devoured this book.  I've found books from my childhood that I forgot I read (Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears).  I've enjoyed reading the reviews on some of my favorite children's books and wondered why some were omitted (more Arnold Lobel, please).  I've read the reviews on classic stories that I've always been interested in, but have never read.  Having all these little snippets right in from of you makes it so easy to find books that you want to read.  This book is wonderful!  I keep thinking that this book would make the perfect gift for parents-to-be......maybe alongside one of your personal favorite books?

It might seem like a small thing, but I also wanted to mention how great the index is!  You can search by author/illustrator or title of the book, and you can also easily find the featured reviewers write ups (like Lauren Child?  Check out one of her favorite books on page 586).  As you can see, I'm going to be very busy:

 
I've always felt it was a little daunting going to the library and seeing shelf upon shelf of books.  Where to begin?  Where are the good ones?  In fact, that's one of the reasons I started Book Nook - to share with others the books that I've enjoyed, and maybe get some good recommendations in return.  This book is like having your best friend, who happens to be a children's librarian, along with you on your day at the library.  I guarantee you won't be going home empty handed!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment