Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Nook - Mamarazzi

Mamarazzi: Every Mom's Guide to Photographing Kids by Stacy Wasmuth:


I love this book for one reason above all: the photos are fantastic!  There are so many great shots of kids in this book, it inspires me every time I flip through it.  Looking at all these great photos makes me want to get outside with the Bachsters and photoshoot like crazy.

The author offers advice on equipment, exposure, composition and other traditional photography topics, but also has some really great tips geared specifically for photographing your child, like funny tricks to get them to laugh, or how to pick out just the right outfit.  Since I've tricked myself into believing that I already have a grasp of the ins and outs of photography's technical aspects (ha!), I found these little tips to be the most helpful for me (and as you can see from the above picture, I've marked a bunch of pages).  I always seem to need a little help once I get my subject where I want them, so her advice will definitely be put to good use.

The subtitle of the book is accurate, by the way: this is a guide for every Mom (and Dad, too for that matter).  You only need a camera (any camera) and a kid (or kids).   I also enjoyed the articles written by other photographer-Moms and seeing their shots as well.  These are some seriously talented ladies!

The last chapter of the book deals with how to hire a photographer so that you can get in some of the shots, too.  I wish the focus here would have been how to take a decent shot with your timer or wireless remote control.  This is possible to do, and after you've read through to that last chapter, you've got so many great DIY photography tips that I just can't imagine wanting to run out and hire a pro.  So, maybe I'll not only start working on those fabulous shots of the Bachsters, but also make sure to get myself in some of those shots as well!

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment