Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {drumsticks}

I never thought of recreating Drumsticks, those summertime (ok, anytime) treats that everyone loved as a kid - vanilla ice cream in a sugar cone, topped with a hard chocolatey shell and chopped peanuts.  I'm not sure why this never occurred to me, but I'm grateful that Jeni Britton Bauer of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams thought of it.

The recipe for Jeni's chocolate bombe shell couldn't be simpler: bittersweet chocolate and coconut oil melted together (just as easy - and much healthier - than bottled versions you get in the store).  I made the bombe shell, then brushed the mixture in the sugar cones, and set them in the freezer.  Once my ice cream was churned and thoroughly frozen (I used the Philadelphia-style vanilla from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop), I scooped some on a cone and quickly drizzled the melted chocolate on each.  Then, I sprinkled chopped peanuts on each cone, and gently pressed them to help them stay put.  I let them rest for about 10 minutes in the freezer, and then let 3 little Bachsters, and 1 DH, enjoy a homemade Drumstick on a hot June afternoon (don't worry, I had one too, after the photoshoot - of course I did!).

 
-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment