Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {strawberry milkshakes}

I've been reading Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & there is a great quote in the book about not overdoing sauces and toppings: "remember it is the homemade ice cream that is starring in this show."  I think the same idea goes behind other ice cream goodies as well: ice cream cake, sundaes and milkshakes, even  birthday cake & ice cream.  I usually like my ice cream in a big bowl, all by itself.  Flavors and toppings just take away from the ice cream.   (Caveat: as long as it's homemade ice cream - I love toppings & such on store-bought ice cream.)

Despite this philosophy, I found myself with an overabundance of local pick-your-own strawberries & wanted to try some different ice cream options with them.  Since I almost never make milkshakes, that seemed like a good starting point. 
 
For our strawberry milkshakes, I used this strawberry ice cream, which is probably the best strawberry ice cream ever.  The milkshake recipe is from Martha Stewart & is super easy - ice cream, milk and frozen strawberries.  I had some doubts about diluting perfect strawberry ice cream with milk and strawberries - let's just say that I found out that I do still prefer my ice cream as-is.  But if you are a milkshake kind of person, this is a good recipe to try.  The shake is not as sweet as ice cream- for some, that might be a good thing (as Martha would say).


 -Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment