Thursday, December 2, 2010

Best of Show!

I can't believe it's taken me so long to share my good news - but between our computer being down for a couple of weeks & then the craziness around Thanksgiving, it's been nutty.  So, here I am, finally sharing what is definitely the best news I've had in a long time:

I got Best of Show in the annual Columbus Metro Parks photo contest!

There were a record number of entries this year: 275 entries from 63 photographers.  I am thrilled that the judges chose my photo as their #1 pick out of 275!  The photo that won is a photo I took while we were at Hocking Hills in July.  We were hiking the lower trail of Conkle's Hollow and the light was beaming down from above.  I stopped to take a pic of a damselfly and right beside that area was a spider web, fairly horizontal.  My daughter actually pointed it out.  I hunched down to get a shot from underneath, capturing the light, the web & its resident (who had the coolest yellow body with green legs).  I tried to get a second shot (I usually take several, really), but the Bachsters had started walking ahead & I just couldn't get a good focus again.  I was pleased with the shot I got, so I moved on at that point.  The picture is SOOC (straight out of camera).  In fact, I don't even think I sharpened it!

Anyway, here it is, displayed at Blacklick Woods Metro Park in November, along with the other entries:



DH & the Bachsters were so sweet about my win that they told everybody: his boss, the girls' play friends, etc.  It really warmed my heart that they were so proud of their Mama!  My oldest made a homemade blue ribbon, that is proudly displayed with my other one (apparently, I dropped my placing, though - now I'm #10):



See her soccer trophy peeking out from behind?  How cute!

Anyway, I just wanted to share my good news!  I am so thrilled!  This win has really re-energized my desire to create the best nature photography I can.  And it also reaffirms my belief that you don't need the highest-end professional equipment to produce images that others appreciate.

I'll definitely be getting out there this Winter to get some shots (hopefully good ones), so you'll be seeing more nature photography from me in the near future.  Last year, I was lazy & didn't get out much when it was cold.  I'll make sure this season is a productive one! 

Take care!
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment