Monday, February 28, 2011

Book Nook - Gifted

Gifted: Lovely Little Things to Knit & Crochet by Mags Kandis is a really neat little book.  If you are a knitter or a crocheter and are looking to make a gift for someone, chances are you'll find something here!

The book is divided into 2 parts: gifts for the body & gifts for the soul.  There are varied techniques to the gifts: knitting, crochet, felting, sewing and cooking (there are a few recipes interspersed).

I first saw this book at my LYS (local yarn store) & was immediately in love with the weekend socks (page 54).  They look so comfy & I love the colors: gray, cream & orange.  They look great together!  I've never made socks before, but these are definitely on the list for the day I decide to tackle that project.  I was also intrigued by the gilded mesh scarf (page 52).  I'm not a crocheter but love the square pattern.  I wonder if something like this could be done with knitting?  Hmmm.

I really love the knitted hearts (felted heart milagros, page 82) & the accompanying project, heart milagros door hanger (page 85).  I think my Bachsters will each need a door hanger for next Valentine's Day!  The cabled boot toppers are also very cool - I've never seen anything quite like this & I think it would jazz up the right outfit nicely.  Definitely in my queue are the felted yule bling ornaments (page 107).  These sweet felted circles are decorated with embroidered snowflakes - very cute & very easy.

The only downside to this book that I can see is there are no projects for the guys.  There are some projects for the home, but I can't really see them for guys (do you know any males who would like a tea cozy or an egg cozy?).  Well, maybe the notebook or netbook cozy  (page 86) might work.  But other than that, the rest of the people on your gift list are set - moms, sisters, babies, daughters.....or, yourself!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment