Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {mounds}

When I saw the recipe for toasted coconut ice cream in The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, I knew I had to make it.  But marbled with mango sorbet, as it's shown in the book, just didn't excite me.  Then, I got a great idea (because, apparently I sit around and daydream about ice cream...a lot).  How about swirling dark chocolate throughout and making an ice cream version of a Mounds candy bar?  Doesn't that sound delicious?!

And it is.  I made the recipe (and was surprised that there is no coconut in the finished product - the ice cream is only infused with the flavor of the toasted coconut).  Then I drizzled bittersweet stracciatella into the layers of ice cream (the stracciatella hardens into chunks).  It was perfection, way better than the candy bar that inspired it.  So glad I made a double batch.

You could also top it with toasted almonds, or swirl them in the ice cream - and you'd have an Almond Joy version!


-Cheryl

2 comments:

  1. Excuse me while I towel the drool off my keyboard...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably shouldn't admit who ate almost all of the batch (did I mention it was a double batch?).....

      Delete