Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {vietnamese coffee}

When I'm in the check out line at the grocery store, I can resist buying the candy bars and I can resist buying the magazines, but I always have to talk myself out of getting one of my favorite treats from those little check-out-line fridges, Starbucks Mocha Frappaccino.  Sadly, my attempts at resistance are not always successful.

And, to my surprise, I've discovered an ice cream that tastes remarkably like my beloved Frappaccinos: Vietnamese coffee ice cream from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop.  I would have thought that the regular ol' coffee ice cream recipe from the book would be the one to conjure up Frappaccino yumminess, but something about the Vietnamese coffee recipe is what did the trick.  I think it's the super-sweet taste from the sweetened condensed milk that does it.  I used coffee (as opposed to brewed espresso) in the recipe, so maybe that flavor is what reminded me of the Starbucks version.  I guess it really doesn't even matter - sweet + coffee, that's all you really need to know.

It's a divine treat, and hard to resist.....just like its inspiration.


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment