Friday, July 16, 2010

Hocking Hills

Hi readers,

As I mentioned in my last post, we just got back from our little trip to Hocking Hills.  We had a great time hiking, boating and chilling out.  I wanted to share a few pictures with everyone.

This is a picture of Little Dude playing in the sand at Ash Cave.  I wish I had a better picture of the cave to show you, but it was so enormous, that I just couldn't get a good shot of everything.  Next time I'm there, I'll have a tripod & a wide angle lens!



We also visited Cedar Falls, which was spectacular:


There was this little yellow butterfly fluttering around when we were at Cedar Falls, but I didn't get a good shot of him because I don't think he landed at all.  In fact, we saw lots of butterflies when we were at Hocking.  Once, we drove through a patch of several of them.  This butterfly shot was taken outside of our cabin, in a little bunch of wild flowers:


We rented a pontoon boat one day & sailed around Lake Logan, which was so fun.  The breeze was cool, the water was calm & we saw lots of herons (and even a couple of peacocks, strange enough).  Here is a shot of a heron from the boat:


I think it had just caught a fish.  We got to watch many herons fishing in action.  I guess Lake Logan is known for its abundance of fish. 

Our cabin had a hot tub on the back deck - almost all of the cottages/cabins in Hocking do.  I didn't think the kids would like it, but we turned the temp down & they used it like a mini-pool.  Whenever we were at the cabin, they were swimming away:



On our last day there, we went hiking at Conkle's Hollow, which I think was my favorite hike from the trip.  It was a beautiful hike along the forest floor & the scenery was 200 ft. cliffs surrounding the gorge.  At the end of the trail, there was a plunge pool with a tiny cascade of water (I wouldn't call it a waterfall) and when you looked up, this is what you saw:



We were all so tired from our trip, but it was a happy tired.  Here is my 5 year old on the car ride home, completely wrapped up in her blankie, asleep, probably dreaming of ferns and butterflies and moss and caterpillars and hot tubs:



If you ever get the opportunity to go to Hocking Hills, it is worth the drive.  It's so beautiful there, and a great vacation spot for families.  I hope we can go back again soon.
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment