Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Garden treats & a resident

Hi readers,

Tonight, I made an awesome recipe for quinoa using fresh basil & cherry tomatoes from our garden.  Our poor, sad garden that has received zero amount of attention from me; yet there they were, beautiful basil & tiny tomatoes, at the ready.  I vow to make more of an effort with the garden next year, as the veggies and herbs that come from it are amazing!  Anyway, here is a pic of my yummy ingredients:


While I was there, I spotted our tiny garden resident: a black swallowtail caterpillar.  Here's the story with this guy: the Bachsters and I went swimming at our neighbor's pool last week and she was kind enough to give us a bunch of veggies from her garden while we were there (I had a few really great salads last week).  Buried deep in the greenery of the carrots was a black swallowtail caterpillar.  The kids were thrilled!  So he officially moved next door to our garden!  Here is a picture of him, taken 7 days ago (please note my daughter's pruny hands from swimming):


And here's his picture from today.  I can't believe how much he's grown in such a short time!


The kids are in the kitchen right now, all pretending to be black swallowtail caterpillars & all munching on big pieces of romaine lettuce, "because caterpillars have to eat a lot."  I'm grateful for our resident caterpillar, for inspiring large-quantity-veggie-consumption!

Have a nice evening!
Cheryl 

No comments:

Post a Comment