Sunday, November 25, 2012

Ice Cream Sundays - {phish food}

For years, my favorite ice cream has been Ben & Jerry's Phish Food.  So many movies have been enjoyed with this ice cream, so many late night freezer raids.  It's chocolate ice cream, with swirls of caramel and a creamy marshmallow sauce, with little chocolate fish throughout.  It's dreamy, and if you've never tried it, you should.  You must.  Most grocery stores carry it, and even gas stations do (hey, it's good to know exactly where you can pick up Phish Food, in case of a serious ice cream craving emergency).

Anyway, it's pretty difficult to top the original.  And I'm not sure that I have.  But, I will say that I've come pretty close.  Here's what I did:  made the fabulous chocolate ice cream from David Lebovbitz's The Perfect Scoop.  I also made the fabulous creamy caramel sauce from the same book.  I tried very hard to not eat the all of the caramel sauce from the pot.  I also made the stracciatella from the book.  And finally, made a marshmallow cream from Martha Stewart.  And I did my best to stay out of the caramel sauce and the marshmallow cream (not an easy task, I tell you).

Once I had all those components in place (or, what was left of them, ahem), I layered the chocolate ice cream with the sauces, and swirled in the stracciatella.  Oh my goodness, it was good!  Just like the Ben & Jerry's favorite, but something I could make in my kitchen (in large quantities).  Next time, I will do a better job of perfecting the Ben & Jerry's technique of making pools of caramel and marshmallow sauce.  I made ribbons of the sauce across the frozen ice cream, but pools would be much yummier and note worthy.  So, there - I've got the perfect excuse to make this one again!

  
-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment