Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday Brunch - {portobello mushroom gratins}

If you've read through a few of my blog posts, you probably know that I just love Martha Stewart.  I subscribed to her magazine for a few years, and saved all my issues.  Lately, I've been thinking that I should just get rid of them because all the recipes are online, right?  Well, unfortunately, not this one: individual portobello mushroom gratins.  It comes from Martha's October 2004 issue, which is my favorite one of all (seriously, I keep it with my cookbooks, or on our desk.  A magazine from 2004!). 

Big portobello mushrooms are stuffed with white mushrooms cooked with white wine, parsley, chives, shallots and cream.  Then, they are topped with a cheesy breadcrumb mixture.  So delicious!

I was a little nervous making these for the Bachsters.  Even though they've been wanting to try portobello mushrooms, I was worried this recipe might be a little too grown up for them.  To my surprise, they really liked them.  And so did DH, but I knew he would because he's a portobello guy.

If you do track down the October 2004 issue and make this recipe (sorry I can't link it!), try to get the roundest, most bowl-like portobellos you can.  The flat ones are just uncooperative with the mushroom mixture (but still tasty).

Thank you for another great recipe, Martha! 


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment