Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A sneak peek

Over the past couple of months, I've been working on knitting up Christmas gifts for the Bachsters, and now I am on the home stretch.  I'm happy to say that 2 out of 3 gifts are complete!  I've been working hard on the last one, but it's been a challenge because it's my own design (what was I thinking!).  Here's a sneak peek of what's been on the needles recently.

The first gift I worked on was a scarf & hat for our 6 year-old.  These were done in Grace Hand-Dyed yarn (see original post here).  The yarn is heavenly and I'm really pleased with the results (although the items are heavier than I expected - I guess that's the silk).  I did a box stitch scarf, and then improvised a box stitch hat to match.  Here's a shot of the prototype hat - I ran out of yarn, so my first attempt ended up looking like an odd headband:


Thanks to ebay, we have more yarn, and it's a proper hat now!

The next project I worked on is a vest for Little Dude.  I knit it in the round, which is the first time I've made a garment this way.  I loved how quickly it seemed to go on size 8 needles, knit-stitching along.  I learned the kitchener stitch on this project too.  Overall, it was pretty easy.  Now, I'm just hoping it fits him!  Here's a shot before I knit on the arm and neck edging:


A couple of weeks ago, a big box of Plymouth De Aire arrived at my door:


It's so light & airy & soft - DD is going to love her project I'm making with it!  And, thankfully, it's bulky, so I'm hoping it knits up fast.


"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
     -Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

Oh, and just for fun, I added a few hand towels into the mix, as gifts for my aunts!  One is complete, one more to go (maybe more, if there's time)!  The first was done on Seedling organic cotton yarn, by Classic Elite.  It's so soft and buttery, for cotton!


I'll show you all the finished objects once they are all complete & after they've been gifted.  In the meantime, wish me luck getting that last one done!

Are you making (or shopping for) any last minute gifts? 

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment