Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ice Cream Sundays - {peach}

If I were at a birthday party, and we were having cake and ice cream, and the ice cream flavor was peach, I would probably pass on the ice cream and ask for a second piece of cake instead.  Peach ice cream just doesn't do anything for me.  I remember one time in the recent past, for some reason we had some store-bought peach ice cream in our freezer, and it stayed there for months.  In this family, that's an unusual thing, indeed.

So, I set out to make peach ice cream knowing that it wasn't the most popular flavor around here.  But peaches are in season, and we picked up a bunch from a local farm.  Why not give it a try?

I used the recipe from The Craft of Baking by Karen DeMasco, a cookbook that I'm really loving right now.  However, I used the ice cream making technique of The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz - my favorite ice cream book.  Lebovitz recommends taking the skins off the peaches and then pureeing the peaches in a blender or food processor, which is exactly what I did.  The tiny pieces of peach weren't icy at all in the ice cream, thanks to this advice.


It was a good peach ice cream, but I'm afraid it didn't change my mind.  I might make this again for someone who loves peach ice cream, especially for their birthday.  And it definitely wouldn't stay in the freezer for months, like that store-bought kind we once had.  If you love peach ice cream, this is a great recipe (well, hybrid recipe).  If you're not a peach-ice-cream-person, I highly recommend caramel - for which I'd skip the birthday cake altogether and just ask for seconds (and maybe thirds).

-Cheryl 

No comments:

Post a Comment