Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ice Cream Sundays - {caramel}

Oh, caramel ice cream.....you had me at hello!

This week, I made caramel ice cream from David Lebovitz's Ready For Dessert.  This cookbook has tons of great recipes in it, just about every one calling to me.  But of course, I started with the ice cream section and I couldn't have picked a better recipe to try.  This is the best caramel ice cream I have ever had, and I've tried a bunch - its rich caramel flavor perfectly balances sweet with a hint of salty.

Do yourself a big, big favor - make a double batch.  I finally got smart and am starting to do this.  Let's face it, 1 quart is just not enough for our ice cream loving family.  This recipe doubled easily.  Since I could see myself eating a bowl of caramel ice cream, oh I don't know, every day for the rest of my life, maybe I should invest in another ice cream canister.

The funny thing about caramel ice cream, at least from my experience, is that it plays with your taste buds a bit.  The first bite is no doubt the best, almost like sheet music, with the high notes and the low notes all up & down, yet the melody is beautiful.  I find that the more I eat caramel ice cream, the more subdued the musical notes and after a while, I can't really taste the caramel, just sweetness.  To remedy this, I highly recommend little doses throughout the day, so you can enjoy that first kick over and over.  Every day, for life, of course.


We've been going to the Farmer's Market and a local farm's store quite a lot recently to enjoy all the fresh fruits and vegetables grown locally.  And I was planning on sharing some of the ice cream I've made with all those local ingredients on today's blog.  But, after I made this caramel ice cream (and promptly devoured it), I just couldn't let another week or two go by without gushing about it.  Even now, looking at these shots of the caramel ice cream, I'm finding it very difficult to restrain myself from going into the kitchen and whipping up a batch (I mean, double batch, naturally).


Meet my new favorite ice cream....caramel.  Hello.

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment