Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {cantaloupe sorbet}

If you happened to see my post on mascarpone ice cream (here's the link) then I should tell you that cantaloupe sorbet is in the same category: something's amok with my cantaloupe!  It looks like a big scoop of soft cantaloupe puree, but once you take a bite out of it, you realize it's cantaloupe, just disguised.  Apparently, cantaloupe can be a very sneaky fruit when it wants to.

The cantaloupe I used smelled wonderful, but had a very melon-y taste to it.  I made this recipe in the summer, at the height of cantaloupe season.  And it's so easy to make - chop, blend, cool & churn (the recipe is from the amazing The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, also amazing).

I have come to realize that I'm not much of a sorbet fan.  I mean, I'll eat it and all, but I tend to daydream about ice cream while I'm eating sorbet.  I prefer my fruit straight-up, instead of fruit trying to be something it's not.  However, perhaps that's a little unfair of me - maybe if my cantaloupe hadn't been melon-y I would have liked it more.

So, maybe I'll give it another try when I have a good looking cantaloupe candidate on hand.  And, next time I'll serve a scoop of it in a half-cantaloupe bowl, just to blur the lines of reality and fantasy a little more. 


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment