Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Nook - Beekeeping for Dummies

Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston:


This is the only book to be here on Book Nook that I haven't read from cover to cover; however, the reason for that is a good one.  The book is so comprehensive that so far, I've only immersed myself in the chapters that are pertinent to me now.  I'm sure there will be a day when I've read - and used - each chapter and piece of information.  I've skimmed over the entire book and there is a lot to be learned.  This is such a thorough book on beekeeping that it's likely to be a resource that I turn to many times.

I took a beekeeping class a few months ago, and this is the book that was given to all the class participants.  The title is very accurate, at least for me, because I knew nothing about beekeeping at my first class.  Between this book, and the wonderful instruction and hands-on demonstrations through the Central Ohio Beekeeper's Association, I feel a lot more prepared to take care of my new pets.

Pretty much everything you wanted to know about beekeeping is in this book.  Complete instructions, helpful tips, photos, you name it.  Every time I open the book, I learn something new or stick post-it-notes on the pages to help me remember specific information.  I even brought the book out to the "beeyard" with me when I installed my bees - it was reassuring to know that all this expert advice was there with me, in case I forgot about something or needed some help.

I highly recommend this book for any beekeeper, or anyone interested in learning about beekeeping!

-Cheryl  

No comments:

Post a Comment