Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fibonacci Afghan

Way back in Fall of 2010, I got the idea to knit an afghan based on the Fibonacci spiral.  I wanted each square to be a Fibonacci sequence number (which are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on - each number is the sum of the 2 numbers before it).  I loved the perfect afghan-size these measurements would give me, as well as the visual of the spiral swirling over the clustered squares.

I chose Cascade 128 Superwash for the project in 5 different earth-tone shades (here's my original post on the yarn).  I garter-stitched 9 squares, sewed them together and sewed on an i-cord spiral - it was as easy as pi (er, pie) .

  

I had submitted the pattern to a knitting magazine in hopes to get it published, but was rejected.  No problem, I thought, I'll self-publish.  But then our computer crashed and I lost the original pictures and the notes from the tech editor.  Since there was a problem with gauge anyway, the wind went out of my sails and I shelved the whole thing.

So, almost two years after completing it, I finally finally am dusting off the project and sharing it.  A couple of weeks ago, Little Dude and I took the afghan to Inniswood Metro Park to try to re-create the original photoshoot (note the wrinkles from 2-years of heavy use - actually, on second thought,  please pretend you don't see them).


Despite all the afghan-drama, I must say, I'm so pleased with how it turned out.  It's on my bed most cold nights, and mathematical sequences combined with the warmth of pure wool lull me to sleep.


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment