Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {cherry crisp}

Cherry crisp ice cream.....what a brilliant idea!  After all, if you make cherry crisp, chances are you're going to top it off with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, right?!  Why not just make it all at once?  As soon as I saw this combination in Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home, I had a "why didn't I think of that" moment.

I made the roasted cherries according to the recipe in Jeni's, as well as the crisp streusel (which seemed way too buttery at first, but turned out perfect).  I cut the streusel recipe in half, and only used about half of that, so it makes way more than you need (but the extra streusel is great topped on other ice creams - believe me, I know).

The vanilla ice cream recipe is from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop.   I made the Philadelphia-style ice cream with both heavy cream and whole milk - it always turns out great.

Once everything was roasted, baked, cooled and churned, then I layered all the components together.  And it really is cherry crisp - sweet cherries in their syrup and buttery streusel with the perfect complement - vanilla ice cream.

  
-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment