Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {turtle cheesecake}

When I saw the picture of the cheesecake ice cream pie in the book Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, I knew I had to make one.  But the one featured in the book was topped with blueberries, which got me thinking, what's my favorite way to top a cheesecake?  For me, not blueberries.  But what?  I gave it some thought for a day or so, when I was hit with inspiration: turtle cheesecake!  Oh yes!



I made a single batch of the cheesecake ice cream recipe, which was very straightforward and easy to do.  The only change I might make would be to eliminate or reduce the amount of lemon juice added at the very end - it gave the ice cream a lemony flavor that would be a perfect match for a berry topping, but was a bit much for what I had planned.  Note to self.

I followed the instructions in the book for ice cream pie with a cookie crumb base.  I used Newman-O's, which made the perfect crust.  The authors call for sugar added to the crumbs, but I only added half of what was called for, and could probably get away with not adding any of the sugar at all next time - the Newman-O's were plenty sweet.  Another note to self.

Once the crust had cooked and cooled, I added the just-churned ice cream and let it sit for a day in the freezer.  Then, for the toppings I toasted some pecans and chopped them.  I melted a few ounces of semi-sweet chocolate over a double boiler.  And I made my absolute favorite, creamy caramel sauce from The Perfect Scoop (which I think is my all-time favorite food).  When we were ready to eat it, I sprinkled and drizzled everything on top.  It was heavenly.



Must make this again - note to self.  

-Cheryl

2 comments:

  1. "The Gardener" was absolutely lovely! Thanks for recommending it, Cheryl. Note to self: look up all the Caldecott medal and honor books.
    Wow, that ice cream cake looks fabulous.
    And finally, congrats on your new pets! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chickadee!

      Glad you enjoyed "The Gardener." I get a little teary eyed every time I read that book! I love looking through the Caldecott list for new books to get, as well as the Newbery list. So many great books!

      Yes, the turtle cheesecake was delish. It's hard for me to look at those pictures and not want to make it again. But I'm trying to be good - swimsuit season is right around the corner!

      As for my new "pets," so far they're extremely low maintenance. We'll see how they react when I go to get my share of the honey.

      -Cheryl

      Delete