Monday, July 8, 2013

Ice Cream Sundays - {peanut butter milkshakes}

I woke up this morning, and as I groggily made my way downstairs, a thought jolted me awake: "oh no, I forgot to do my blog yesterday!"  Yikes!  I can't think of a time that has ever happened on my regular Sunday or Monday posts.  And I know exactly why I forgot (2 reasons actually): I have been fighting a nasty cold the past week, so my brain is a little slushy right now.  And also, DH just discovered a new computer game, so my time at the computer has been minimal (ok, nonexistent.  He really likes this new game).  My apologies, dear friends!

Better late than never, right?  "Sundaes" (or, in this case, peanut butter milkshakes) are just as enjoyable on Mondays.  And this recipe, I hope you'll find, is worth the wait.  It's not really a recipe per se, but more of an experiment or concoction.  But before I go into the details on making it, I want to tell you about how I learned to make them.

When I was tween, I had a few steady gigs as a babysitter.  A couple of families started calling me to babysit all the time, and then they would pass my number along to their friends.  It was a fun job, but didn't pay very well (if I remember right, I only got a few dollars per hour).  One time, I had just watched the 4 kids of a family that I babysat for often.  The mother started to make the kids peanut butter milkshakes, and this is how I got the recipe.  I remember it was summer, and how quickly she made them, and how quickly the kids drank them.  I have a vague memory of getting paid, not in cash, but in peanut butter milkshakes that day.  At the time, for a skinny tween with a wicked sweet-tooth, this was totally acceptable.  Of course, reflecting back on it years later, I'm completely outraged.  Oh well, at least I got a really great recipe out of it!


Peanut Butter Milkshakes
1/2 cup milk
5 generous scoops vanilla ice cream
2 heaping tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I used Jif)

Put all ingredients in blender, starting with the milk.  Blend them together, adding more milk if it's too thick.  Taste - add more ice cream or more peanut butter, as needed.  Makes about 3 cups.
*All measurements are approximate - this is what I used when I made them last.  Think of it as a starting point.

That's it!  These milkshakes are so simple, yet the ingredients blend together to make this divine treat.  I've never tasted anything that compares to them - the sweetness of the ice cream somehow mellows out the peanut butter and they sort of work together (I know that sounds strange, but that's the best way to describe it).  These are the best milkshakes ever, hands down!  Definitely worth giving up a fair wage for.  And I hope you'll find, worth the wait.

 
-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment