Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Brunch - {apple vs. pumpkin}

Pumpkin pie is obligatory in our house every Fall.  And since we went apple picking recently, I wanted to make an apple pie with all our apples.  Making two different kinds of pie within a couple of days of each other gave us the chance to compare which pie we all like better.  It was an apple pie vs. pumpkin pie smackdown!

Our first competitor is a from-scratch apple pie, with a mixture of Winesap and Granny Smith apples.  I used a new recipe for a homemade crust that uses a lot of butter, and one that I immediately over-mixed because the crumbly stage never quite turned into the roll-it-out stage.  But I'm new to pie crust making, so perhaps I did something wrong.  This recipe is from Martha.

Next up is pumpkin pie, a Bach family perennial favorite.  I cheated and used a store-bought crust.  I made two and they were gone in a flash.  The recipe is from Libby.

And the results......3 Bachster votes for pumpkin pie.  1 Rhodesian Ridgeback vote for apple pie (he snatched the last couple of slices from the pan on the counter and gobbled them up while we were away).

3 against 1......pumpkin pie is declared our official winner!


Which do you like better - apple pie or pumpkin pie (or both!)?

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment