Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Brunch - {pumpkin crisp}

When I made apple crisp earlier this Fall, I wondered if I could find any similar recipes, but with pumpkin.  After some internet searching, I found some interesting recipes for pumpkin crisp that incorporate yellow cake, but nothing like what I was envisioning.  So, I decided to create it myself!

I used the same topping as the apple crisp from Martha Stewart (see the above link).  Why mess with perfection?  Here's what I used for the pumpkin part:

3 pound sugar pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut up the pumpkin into small 1/2 inch cubes.  Toss pumpkin with the rest of the dry ingredients.  Bake pumpkin, without the topping, for 10 minutes.  Add Martha's topping and bake the whole thing for 55-60 minutes (cover with foil about halfway through if it starts to get too brown.  I always have to do this with crisps).

Serve warm - and here's the most important part - with ice cream!  Seriously, the ice cream is a definite must.  The crisp is a little dry because pumpkin doesn't have as much natural juices as other crisp fruit, like apples or peaches.  Also, I like this better the day after I made it.  Letting it sit out for a while gave the flavors a chance to develop and get even better.


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment