Saturday, May 19, 2012

Strawberry picking 2012

Strawberry picking has become an annual tradition with the Bachsters and me.  Because of the warm Spring we've had, the strawberries are ready for picking now, a few weeks earlier than last year.  So this morning, the Bachsters, DH, Nana and myself all loaded up for a trip to the farm!

Here are a few pics from the excursion:




(Yes, I asked them to wear hats - it's hot & sunny in the strawberry patch!)

Of course, as tradition dictates, we always come home and make strawberry shortcake.  My favorite recipe is from Martha.  You basically make a sweet biscuit, let the strawberries macerate in sugar & lemon juice & then whip up some heavy cream (for this part, I just add a cup or so heavy cream to a chilled bowl, add about a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract & whip it with the mixer.  When it starts to thicken, I add some powdered sugar until it tastes perfectly sweet, then whip it until it looks like whipped cream.  It's so easy, you'll never want to buy whipped cream from a tub or squirt tube again).

Before........


After...........


We have so many strawberries this year, that I'm going to try to make strawberry jam.  And, I'm certain I'll get requests for more strawberry shortcake.  Who can resist it?

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment