Monday, December 16, 2013

Book Nook - books I'm reading now

I always have a few books sitting around in various stages of being read (ok, it's usually more than a few).  I thought I'd share some books from my latest pile!

Curious Critters by David FitzSimmons:

 

I just love a well-photographed nature book geared for children.  When I spotted this book at the book fair this Fall at the Bachsters' school, I made a beeline for it - that perfect froggy shot on the cover was "croaking" to me.  How in the world does FitzSimmons do it?  Gorgeous photos of animals, all on a white background......but how did he get the blue jay there?  How did he clean up that turtle?  And where did he find a pink katydid?  Luckily, there is a website for the book, and I'm definitely going to check it out.  I was especially pleased to discover that the author/photographer lives in Ohio!

Feed Your Face: Younger, Smoother Skin and a Beautiful Body in 28 Delicious Days by Jessica Wu, M.D.:




I can't believe that the medical community thought that what you eat has no affect on your skin (until recently, that is).  It seems so logical that our diet impacts our skin.  Yet many doctors don't know this, or focus on diet when meeting with a patient.  And that's where Dr. Wu comes in - her whole focus is on improving your eating habits to improve your skin.  Rashes, rosacea, eczema, wrinkles and other dermatology concerns are all discussed.  Do you have rosacea?  Avoid spicy foods.  Worried about aging and your skin?  Eat anti-aging fruits like strawberries and blueberries.  In addition to lots of great information about specific foods in relation to specific concerns, there's also great advice on topical solutions, a section on cosmetic procedures and lots and lots of real life stories from her patients (& some of her celebrity patients).

How to Read Novels Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster:



I keep renewing and renewing this book at my library - it's made a permanent mark on my ottoman because it's been sitting there so long.  But I really want to read it (sadly, I have yet to give it any time other than some quick flip-throughs).  But in those few minutes looking through it here and there, I love what I've seen - well known novels discussed for their plots, characters and other attributes that make a great novel.  I'm hoping to make some time for this book soon (if not, I still have several renewals at my command).

Knit Your Own Zombie by Fiona Goble:




Shhhh....can you keep a secret?  A certain 10 year old might just be getting a knitted zombie made by her mama this Christmas.  If not Christmas, then a New Year's gift (hey, nothing rings in the New Year like a handmade knitted toy.  Even if it is a bit disturbing to look at).  DD loves zombies, and when I came across this book, I knew I just had to make her one.  Zombie is next in line after I finish my current toy, but I'm happy to say that he will be a stash buster!  So, here's a book I've been reading, but a little covertly, and it certainly isn't on display on the coffee table.  It's quietly tucked away in a big pile of papers, where DD's wandering eyes never peek.  Sounds like a perfect place for the zombie apocalypse to begin!

What book(s) are you reading (or intending to read) right now?

-Cheryl 

No comments:

Post a Comment