Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday Brunch - {thanksgiving edition}

Oh, what a great Thanksgiving this was!  We visited both sides of the family (which meant a lot of driving around the state of Ohio, but also lots of car knitting - bonus!).  Because we had two dinners, we made twice the amount of goodies as usual.  And because the Bach family is usually running late, we offered to bring desserts!

One of the things we brought to both family dinners were these cute Oreo turkeys.  They were a big hit with the family.  The Bachsters and I had a blast making them (and eating all their pieces and parts) the day before Thanksgiving.  I got the recipe here.


I made this wonderful apple coffee cake for the dinner with my side of the family.  The recipe is from the September issue of Country Living.  In fact, this is the shot that ran in the issue!  This cake is so moist and super-sweet, and it actually holds up for a few days.  I was so happy we had leftovers!


DH made sourdough bread for the dinner with his family.  His bread is always amazing, and he never needs to look at a recipe, which boggles my mind!


I've got to admit - I was so excited about my turtle cheesecake that we took to DH's family dinner.  It's the one thing I was really looking forward to.  And it did not disappoint.  I made a fabulous cheesecake that turns out perfect every time, from The Best Recipe.  I substituted their crust for a crust with Newman-O's and melted butter.  Then, I topped it with toasted pecans, a drizzle of bittersweet chocolate, and (the best part) creamy caramel sauce from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.  Seriously, if all we were having for Thanksgiving were creamy caramel sauce, I'd have been happy.  But it did make quite a pairing with the cheesecake - it was wonderful!  I hoarded all the leftovers for myself!


And, our families both had big, wonderful meals for everyone with all the traditional dishes.  It was a very delicious day!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!
-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment