Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Brunch - {butternut squash soup}

Actually, the name of this recipe is butternut squash soup with brown butter, sage, and nutmeg creme fraiche.

Or, if you want to get really technical, soupe de courge au beurre noisette et a la creme fraiche muscadee.

The recipe is from Bouchon by Thomas Keller, and it is, I'll admit a more complex recipe.  As I was making it, DH kept asking, "are you still making that soup?"  But sometimes, complexity yields amazing results and this is one of those times.  It's a remarkable soup, sweet from the butternut squash, with lots of flavor from the "back of the house" ingredients.  I've tried other butternut squash soups before, but this one's a keeper.

I did things a little different on some of the steps.  I forgot all about the "bouquet garni" (see, I told you it was complex), so a quick google search led me to a dried-ingredient version that I ended up using.  I also didn't allow the soup to cool and reheat - I'm far too impatient for that!  Finally, the addition of the creme fresh with nutmeg was nice, but not a must.  Serving the soup plain, with no creme fraiche or sauteed sage leaves was fine by me, in fact omitting them just got me to the soup faster.

And since it took so long to make, that was just fine by me.


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment