Saturday, December 29, 2012

Best thing

Earlier this year, I read an awesome book about creativity called Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon.  In part of the book, the author recommends keeping a daily journal because, to paraphrase, to know where you're going, you have to know where you've been.  In the same vein, he also writes about keeping track of the best thing that happened to you that day, a positive way of looking back on the events of your day.  Both ideas really resonated with me, so since August, I've been doing a daily journal (complete with little cutesy illustrations, just like Austin Kleon's) and a "best thing" section at the bottom of each page.  As I look back on my wonderful 2012, I thought it would be fun to share some of my best things.

As varied as every day can be, so are my best things.  Sometimes, it's a very easy & obvious choice what I should jot down.  Other days, I sit and ponder and try to come up with something.  There are biggie best things and then there are tiny best things.  Only one day so far did I not write down a best thing, and I suspect that I just forgot.  There's always something that's the best thing.  So, here are a few of my favorites:

8/26:  DD's fancy, sparkly fishing dress
9/1: saw a big ball of yarn in someone's dashboard at Giant Eagle - made me smile!
9/20: that I'm not in jail
9/21: 1st place in the OEC contest!
9/23: I got a really great picture of the Bachsters at the park




10/7: eating a bowl of "phish food" ice cream & reading "Cultivating Your Creative Life" - feeling content & inspired
10/10: we love the "roller coaster" road to the farm
10/16: Mommy & Little Dude snuggled in big comfy chair together
10/25: Today was better
11/1: I feel I learn something with every photoshoot
11/4: I woke up this morning composing a poem in my head
11/22: feeling thankful today for family and health and love
12/10: so many good things are falling into place all at the same time!
12/11: drank a glass of wine & ate bonbons while looking at Knitty Winter edition - it's up & DD & my pattern are on the cover!  Yay!!!
12/26: being able to stay home when it's snowy, if I choose

Looking back on your day and your 2012, what's your "best thing"?

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment