Monday, December 31, 2012

Book Nook - Best of 2012

One of the reasons I love doing Book Nook is that I really enjoy thinking about the books I read after I finish the last page.  It gives me a sense of closure with the story, and also gives me another chance to hang out with the author & characters.  With a good story, that can be a nice thing, indeed!

So, I thought it would be fun to look through all my Book Nook posts in 2012 and share with you my favorites:

Best book: fictionLord of the Flies (link to post here)

Honestly, I've not read as much fiction this year as I normally do.  As I go through all my post lists, I realize it's only a handful.  I must work on changing that in 2013!

Anyway, I really enjoyed this classic.  There is so much tension in the story, and even though I could predict some events that would occur, I still enjoyed the ride.  This is a great book to mull over after you've read it, and one that I would definitely recommend!

Best book: fiction - kid's choiceHow to Train Your Dragon (link to post here)

The Bachsters loved these books.  They are full of action and adventure, and fun characters such as heroic Hiccup, unstoppable Camacazi and apprehensive Fishlegs.  Night after night, we read this series and when it was over, we were all left wanting more.  I think it might be time to just re-read them all!

Best book: non-fiction:

I read a lot of non-fiction this year, and some of it has had a great impact on me.  So, rather than try to pick just one, here are a handful of my favorites, and the reasons that they made such a difference for me in 2012:

Nourishing Traditions  (link to post here)

This book really opened my eyes about nutrition and is the reason I started eating meat again.  Traditional foods prepared in traditional ways are best for our health, and I need to keep reminding myself of that when I visit the grocery store & am tempted by all the prepared, industrial foods.

The Omnivore's Dilemma (link to post here)

It took me a while to get into this giant book, but once I did, I was so hooked!  The author looks at four different meals and their impacts on our bodies, our society and our environment.  A must-read for anyone who cares about the impact that their food choices make.

The Perfect Scoop  (link to post here)

If you have looked around my blog, you've seen that I talk about this book every Sunday!  And if you look around my freezer, you would also see that this book has had a big impact on our lives (a sweet impact)!

Why We Get Fat  (link to post here)

Remember all that talk about ice cream?  Well, forget it, because it's all carbs.  Sugar, breads and starches all make us fat.  Avoid them and your health will be soooo much better.  They are hard to cut out of my diet, but I keep trying!

Steal Like an Artist  (link to post here)

This is one of the few non-food-related books on my favorites list (I read a lot of foodie books this year).  So, this book didn't nourish my health, but it did nourish my creative spirit.  It's a little book with a lot of energy, and you can't help but want to rush out and make something after reading it.

The Family Dinner  (link to post here)

Just today, the Bachsters and I were talking about keeping our kitchen table nice & clean at all times so that sitting together & eating as a family will be easier.  I am definitely going to work on having regular family meals (thanks to the inspiration from this book) - it's a 2013 resolution!

What's your favorite book (or books) from 2012?  Please share!

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment