Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ice Cream Sundays - {tiramisu}

The other day, the Bachsters and I were having a discussion on what our favorite holidays are.  When DD asked me, I sheepishly admitted that one of my favorite "holidays" is my birthday.*  I've always really loved my birthday, even as I approach milestone birthdays that involve black balloons and grim reaper cakes!  So, for my birthday last month, I did a lot of reflecting on which ice creams were my favorites, and which ones were a must for this ice-cream-making-mama's birthday.

Well, caramel ice cream was definitely on the top of the list.  But I've also been really eager to try the tiramisu ice cream from David Lebovitz's excellent The Perfect Scoop.  Tiramisu has always been one of my favorite desserts, and I went through a period when I was making it all the time, for just about every family function.  But it's been a while since I've made or enjoyed tiramisu, and I was intrigued by the recipe.  So, on the birthday list it went!

This is a very boozy recipe, and as you can see by the photo below, it made for a melty ice cream.  But it really did taste like tiramisu, just without the ladyfingers.  I am definitely making it again, perhaps next time substituting the mocha ripple with the fudge ripple - the mocha had a slightly bitter taste (or, maybe I'll just add more sugar to the mocha ripple).  But it reminded me so much of my favorite tiramisu recipe, that I'm thinking I should dust it off and make it, along with this ice cream on the side.  I love the idea of double tiramisu!


What's your favorite holiday?  Please share!

-Cheryl

*Edited to add: I like making a big deal out of everyone's birthday, so I love birthdays in general.  Cake for everyone (and homemade ice cream)....it's a very good thing indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment