Monday, December 3, 2012

Book Nook - Treasury For All Seasons

Julie Andrews' Treasury For All Seasons: Poems and Songs to Celebrate the Year by Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton:





When I was recently reading The Family Dinner, the author encouraged readers to read poetry aloud at the dinner table.  This got me thinking about incorporating some poetry in to our bedtime stories.  I love poetry and there are so many wonderful poems for children.  Why had it not occurred to me sooner?  So, shortly after finishing Laurie David's book, I sought out some poetry books at the library.....and this what I found.

Filled with bright, whimsical illustrations by Caldecott Honor recipient Marjorie Priceman, the book is organized by the months of the year.  The latter part of the book contains poems for "other celebrations & special occasions" (birthdays, new babies, etc.).  I loved the way the book is set up, and if you want to find poems about Fall, or back to school or Easter, it's all very easy to find.  There are poems about various religious holidays and lots of secular selections as well.  There are poems that are funny, and some that are more serious.  There are poems by famous writers and/or poets, and there are some authors that I've not heard of.  Some poems are geared toward anyone, some are definitely kid-territory, like "Sand House" or "Half Birthday."  They are all wonderful, and the Bachsters and I had loads of fun going through the book, enjoying the pictures and reading the poems.

The poems are selected by Julie Andrews and her daughter, Emma Walton Hamilton, who both have poems in the book as well.  I can't help but think how well-chosen the name for the book is: Treasury For All Seasons - this would be the perfect book to keep on a coffee table or nightstand and read it over and over, in every season.

-Cheryl  

No comments:

Post a Comment