Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Knitty, Winter 2012

I have the biggest news to share: I have a pattern in the Winter 2012 issue of Knitty, which just came out yesterday!  I'm so excited!!!  And what's more, my pattern (and DD) are featured on the cover!


Here is the link to Knitty - you can see more pictures, check out the pattern and also see many other gorgeous patterns - this is a great issue!  I'm already brainstorming ideas for Franklin Habit's Templeton Square challenge.  

I started the afghan last December, in an overambitious attempt to knit the Bachsters something each for Christmas.  Well, DD's Christmas gift ended up being a Springtime gift, but that's ok.  She really enjoys her afghan and snuggles under it every night, which makes this knitting mama very pleased indeed.


I used Plymouth Yarn De Aire, which is light and lofty.  I really hate heavy blankets, so I wanted this one to be light and airy - and it is.



I tried a few different borders, but none of them seemed right.  I liked the look of picot, but didn't like how much yarn a picot bind off used, and wasn't happy with the crochet picot I tried.  After setting down the afghan for a few days, I came up with a French knot picot, basically putting in one knot after another.  I love how it turned out!


When it came time to choose a name for the pattern, "Hibernate" seemed like a fitting one.  Snuggling under a soft, warm blanket seems like the perfect thing to do on a cold Winter day.


-Cheryl

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the pattern making it to Knitty & having it be the cover pattern! It's stunning & going to into my queue right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samina! I hope you enjoy knitting it as much as I did & I can't wait to see your afghan when it's all finished!

      Delete
  2. Kudos on such a gorgeous blanket! I am enthralled with the pattern and am going to attempt creating it on my knitting machine. Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment nerdvana616! I didn't even realize you could do intarsia on a knitting machine. I've got to get myself one now! Happy knitting!

      Delete